The Tort of Defamation: Concepts and Cases on Libel and Slander in Malaysia and Singapore
Published: 01 August, 2016
The Tort of Defamation is an authoritative specialist text covering various defamation situations occurring in context of the Malaysian and Singapore's landscape.
The Tort of Defamation is an authoritative specialist text covering various defamation situations occurring in context of the Malaysian and Singapore's landscape. The book examines the dual importance of the right of freedom of speech and expression on one hand, and the right to personal privacy.
• Opinions, comments and points of views against safeguarding reputations, character and conduct of person(s), case laws from various jurisdictions are referred to
• Each area of the law on defamation is explained, there is a clear demarcation between defamation action, sedition and other laws that also prevent harmful text or speech
• Discussions on new arrears such as Defamation - the meaning under the Penal Code and Criminal Defamation, types of remedies and damages available in defamation cases and etc.
• The chapters are laid out in a systematic and deliberate manner building and explaining the principles that are involved
• Provides all the key areas and general principles of defamation and is an essential reading for both practitioners and academics
Table of contents
Table of Cases
Table of Foreign Legislation
Part One: Principles of Defamation
Part Two: Defences
Part Three: Remedies
Part Four: Quantum
Part Five: Post Script