Magna Carta, Second Edition By J.C Holt
Magna Carta Second Edition By J.C Holt
|Author||J. C. Holt|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
This is a completely updated and expanded edition of J. C. Holt's study of the Great Charter of Magna Carta, which places the events of 1215 and the Charter itself in the context of English and European law, politics, and administration in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The author has expanded on the evolution of local rights, the meaning of the famous provision nullus liber homo, the political manoeuvrings of 1215, and the Charter's later history, among other topics, in the second edition (1965). An comprehensive chapter on justice and jurisdiction has been added to the book, which represents an entirely new approach to some of the Charter's most important and long-lasting provisions. There are now new appendices. Others look at the Anglo-Norman translations of the Charter and related writings, or the growth of perpetual freedoms. The references have been updated throughout, and there is a completely new index.
- After a long period of being out of print, Magna Carta (1965) by J.C. Holt is re-released in a newly redesigned and expanded edition.
- This is a one-of-a-kind, classic narrative of possibly the most important document in British history, which got rave reviews upon its initial release and sold millions of copies around the world.
- Sir James Holt is a key figure in mediaeval history, well known for his groundbreaking books, including a well-known study of Robin Hood (Thames & Hudson, 1980).
TABLE OF CONTENTS of Magna Carta, Second Edition
1. The Charter and its history
2. Government and society in the twelfth century
3. Privilege and liberties
4. Custom and law
5. Justice and jurisdiction
6. Crisis and civil war
7. Quasi Pax
8. The quality of the Great Charter
9. The achievement of 1215
10. From distraint to war
11. The re-issues and the beginning of the myth
Find more books like Magna Carta, Second Edition By J.C Holt: All books
We Also Recommend
Companies Act 2016 (Act 777), Regulations & Rules [As At 5th October 2022]
Akta Kerja 1955 (Akta 265), Peraturan-Peraturan Dan Perintah & Perundangan Terpilih (Hingga 1hb Jan 2023)
Contracts Act 1950 (Act 136) & Government Contracts Act 1949 (Act 120) [As At 25th May 2022]
Employment Act 1955 (Act 265), Regulations and Orders & Selected Legislation [As At 1st January 2023]