Chitty on Contracts 34th ed: Volumes 1 & 2 with 1st Supplement Set | 2022
Chitty on Contracts 34th ed: Volumes 1 & 2 with 1st Supplement Set By Hugh Beale QC
|Author||Hugh Beale QC|
|Publication Date||Nov 2022|
||Hardback Mainwork + Paperback Supplement|
|Publisher||Sweet & Maxwell|
In the Common Law world, this is the most authoritative reference text on contract law. Chitty covers the entire spectrum of contract law as it is practised in the United Kingdom.
The premier reference text on contract law in the Common Law world. Chitty provides direction for all areas of contract law as it is applied in the UK.
- provides extensive case references and analysis of all pertinent laws
- provides thorough study of contract law and makes numerous references to pertinent statutes and current case law
- Includes interpretation and analysis of recent general laws.
- gives a thorough analysis of legal proceedings stemming from contracts, including exclusion provisions, estoppel, illegality and public policy, error, misrepresentation and non-disclosure, and breach of performance
- discusses how a contract is formed and how it affects the agreement, consideration, the contract's form, any mistakes, misrepresentations, and coercion and undue influence.
- explains in fully the Parties' Capacity The contract's express and implied terms exemption clauses, unfair terms in consumer contracts, and arbitration clauses are all examined and commented upon.
- Examines Public Policy and Illegality
- The law of contract pertaining to third parties, assignment, death, and bankruptcy is covered in depth under "Joint Obligations."
- examines and analyses the application of contract law to performance and discharge, focusing on the topics of discharge by agreement, frustration, and breach
- studies the remedies for violation of contract, such as compensation and time constraints
- Restitution is discussed in connection to contract law.
- analyses the use of conflict of laws to contract law
- handles contracts on an individual basis in the following legal disciplines: agency, arbitration, bailment, bills of exchange, banking, building contracts, air and land transportation, construction, credit and security, employment, gaming and wagering, insurance, restrictive covenants and agreements, sales of goods, and suretyship.
- provides legal interpretation and guidance when disputes emerge, when technical issues need to be clarified, and when obligations, rights, and responsibilities need to be created.
This addendum updates the primary work. Recent cases and developments covered in the supplement include:
- Steve Ward Services (UK) Ltd v Davies & Davies Associates Ltd (CA) and Soteria Insurance Ltd (formerly CIS General Insurance Limited) v IBM United Kingdom Ltd (CA) (meaning of bad faith and good faith in contract terms)
- Khan v Meadows (SC) and Manchester Building Society v Grant Thornton UK LLP (SC) (scope of duty in contract and tort)
- Longley v PPB Entertainment Ltd (constructive knowledge of mistake over terms)
- SK Shipping Europe Plc v Capital VLCC 3 Corp (CA) (Misrepresentation Act 1967 s2(2))
- Nature Resorts Ltd v First Citizens Bank Ltd (PC) (undue influence)
- Central Bank of Venezuela v Governor and Company of the Bank of England (SC) (political immunity)
- Dwyer (UK Franchising) Ltd v Fredbar Ltd (CA) (restraint of trade: franchise agreement)
- Test Claimants in the FII Group Litigation v Revenue and Customs Commissioners (No. 3) (SC) and Dargamo Holdings Ltd v Avonwick Holdings Ltd (CA) (restitution)
- London Steamship Owners Mutual Insurance Ltd v Spain (Case C-700/20) (arbitration)
- Competition and Markets Authority v Care UK Health and Social Care Holdings Ltd (unfair commercial practices, “average consumer”)
- Abbey Healthcare (Mill Hill) Ltd v Simply Construct (UK) LLP (CA) (collateral warranties and adjudication)
- Smith v Royal Bank of Scotland Plc (CA) and
- Canada Square Operations Ltd v Potter (CA) (unfair credit relationship)
- Stuart Delivery Ltd v Augustine (CA) (online platforms and “worker”)
- Competition Act 1998 (Vertical Agreements Block Exemption) Order 2022 and CMA Guidance
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Scottish LP 3 v Lehman Brothers Holdings Plc (In Administration) (CA) (sureties)
TABLE OF CONTENTS of Chitty on Contract 34th Ed
36. Bills of Exchange and Banking
37. Carriage by Air
38. Carriage by Land
39. Construction Contracts
40. Consumer Contracts
41. Credit and Security
43. Gambling Contracts
45. Restrictive Agreements and Competition
46. Sale of Goods