NORCHAYA TALIB ON TORTS IN MALAYSIA (PRE-ORDER)
“I am confident that [Norchaya Talib on Torts in Malaysia] will become one of the main texts on the law of torts in Malaysia and just like the earlier editions of the late Professor Norchaya Talib’s books, this edition will also benefit many readers in this country.”
Dato’ Associate Professor Dr Johan Shamsuddin bin Dato’ Haji Sabaruddin
Dean, Faculty of Law University of Malaya
The law of torts is an important branch of private law which protects individuals against civil wrongs. This book which draws on the pedigree of the established Law of Torts in Malaysia by the late Professor Dr Norchaya Talib, covers not only the traditional torts such as negligence, nuisance, trespass, strict liability and defamation, but also explores the current aspects of the law of torts law in Malaysia.
There have been significant developments in Malaysian tort law in the past decade. The chapters have been updated and revised by a team of expert contributors to capture those developments in this new book. Maintaining the structure as per Professor Norchaya's noted work, this book attends to new areas and developments in the law of torts through the introduction of the tort of harassment; expanded analysis on the defence of illegality, exclusion clauses and damages; focus on the new developments in the law of defamation, altering the landscape of free speech; and consideration of the extension of vicarious liability. Two additional chapters are included to elaborate on underdeveloped areas such as the economic torts and privacy.
The concise discussions of the principles of the law as well as comprehensive analyses of relevant judicial decisions and legislative provisions will very much assist not only students learning the law of torts but also professionals researching on this subject. This book shall be the current lead reference on the law of torts in Malaysia.
- Provides concise and clear statement of the principles of tort law as well as comprehensive analyses of case law and statutory provisions
- Explains key concepts in easy terms
- Contains additional discussion on the significant development of the law and recent key cases
- Explores the new tort of harassment
- Analyses court intervention in cases of police misconduct
- Discusses the current developments in the law of defamation
- Two new chapters - Economic and Other Torts (includes discussion of unlawful interference, conspiracy, and extended passing off) and Privacy