The constitution of Malaysia makes provision for local government. The main governing legislation includes the Local Government Act 1976 (Act 171) which is applicable for Peninsular Malaysia, whereas the Local Authorities Ordinance 1996 and Local Government Ordinance 1961 apply for the states of Sabah and Sarawak respectively.
Volume 1 of a 4-part series on Local Government Laws, this pertinent publication provides an in-depth explanation of the legal structure of local government in Malaysia. The various legal principles pertaining to local authorities such as the commencement of legal proceedings by and against local authorities; the availability of injunctive reliefs against local authorities; the applicability of the doctrine of legitimate expectation and estoppel against local authorities and much more, are explicitly detailed in this book.
In addition, the powers, duties and liabilities of local authorities under the provisions of the Strata Management Act 2013 (Act 757); Road Transport Act 1987 (Act 333); Statutory and Local Authorities Superannuation Fund Act 1977 (Act 185); Destruction of Disease-Bearing Insects Act 1975 (Act 154), among others, are also covered in Volume 1.
Table of Contents
• Legal Proceedings Against And By Local Authorities
• Limitation Periods In Claims Involving Local Authorities
• Injunctive Relief
• Doctrine Of Legitimate Expectation And Estoppel In Context Of Local Authorities
• Duties And Powers Of Local Authorities Under The Road Transport Act 1987 (Act 333)
• Commissioner Of Buildings
• Statutory And Local Authorities Pensions Act 1980 (Act 239)
• Statutory And Local Authorities Superannuation Fund Act 1977 (Act 185)
• Duties And Powers Of Local Authorities Under The Food Act 1983 (Act 281)
• Duties And Powers Of Local Authorities Under The Destruction Of Disease-Bearing Insects Act 1975 (Act 154)