The Criminal Procedure Code: A Commentary, 2nd Edition
The Criminal Procedure Code: A Commentary, 2nd Edition by Srimurugan Alagan
|Publication Date||Nov 2018|
||Hardcover + Ebook|
|Publisher||Sweet & Maxwell|
: “A commentary on a legislative document such as our Code requires extensive research. It requires mastery of the decisions of Indian Courts as well as our own. Also, it has to be informative and readable at the same time. Srimurugan’s work meets all these requirements. This 2nd edition of his work contains more information than its elder sister. The author has taken pains to formulate propositions established by the several authorities in the language of the judgments delivered in those cases.” -From the Foreword by Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram, former Federal Court Judge.
NEW IN THIS EDITION of The Criminal Procedure Code:
Changes in the law resulting from important modifications to the Criminal Procedure Code, which took effect on March 1, 2017, and address the following topics:
- In the absence of an accused individual, a trial is held.
- clause safeguarding the identity of a testifying witness,
- Evidence from a protected witness will be handled differently.
- the addition of new criminal offences to the Penal Code,
- The Child (Amendment) Act 2016 Act prohibits a child offender from being whipped (Act A1511),
- Appendices with selected recent Practice Directions and commentary on criminal appeals to the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court.
The latest edition of this book, written by an experienced criminal law practitioner, provides clear and extensive section-by-section commentary on the Criminal Procedure Code. The concepts of law acquired throughout time through cases are carefully distilled and summarised for users' convenience.
The provisions of the Code are completely current, and cross-references help users navigate the Code's complexities. The commentary is written in a comprehensible style and includes recent court decisions as well as new legislative developments, including the Criminal Procedure Code (Amendment) Act 2016. (Act A1521).
KEY FEATURES of The Criminal Procedure Code:
- The Criminal Procedure Code is explained in depth, piece by section.
- Important and pertinent principles are discussed, with appropriate authorities supporting them.
- Where applicable, comparisons are made with the Indian Code of Criminal Procedure and case law from India, Singapore, and other Commonwealth jurisdictions.
- The Criminal Procedure Code is supplemented with historical context and cross references to other legislative measures.
- Selected Practice Directions mentioned in the commentary are provided for your convenience.
- Commentary on criminal appeals to the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court in an appendix.
- Commentary to the Criminal Procedure Code
- Appendix 1 – Practice Directions
- Appendix 2 – Provisions Affected by the Criminal Procedure Code (Amendment) Bill 2015
- Appendix 3 – Commentary on Criminal Appeals to the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court
Find more books like The Criminal Procedure Code: CRIMINAL LAW
We Also Recommend
Companies Act 2016 (Act 777), Regulations & Rules [As At 5th October 2022]
Contracts Act 1950 (Act 136) & Government Contracts Act 1949 (Act 120) [As At 25th May 2022]
My Story: Justice in the Wilderness by Tommy Thomas| Hardcover *Collectors Edition*